When Nana was a little girl, she was a picky eater, so her mom tricked her into eating lima beans, or butter beans. Grandma Jane would stab each bean with a toothpick instead of using a fork. As a result, Nana thought lima beans were amazing growing up. As tradition goes, she has now taught all of the grandkids how to eat lima beans the ‘fun’ way.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 pound lima beans (fresh or frozen)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until crisp. Set aside reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- Add the lima beans to a saucepan. Cover with chicken broth. (All 4 cups may not be needed.)
- Add bacon, drippings, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Lower temperature and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness. They should be soft and tender. If beans are still hard, cook additional time. Serve warm.