Nana calls this recipe gumbo, but it is usually served as a side unlike the traditional gumbo. She made it recently with zucchini instead of okra, and it was still delicious. Have fun with this, and continue to share with your friends and family.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 medium onion
- ½ red bell pepper
- 3 cups okra
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- In a skillet mix together butter, olive oil, and garlic.
- Dice and add onion and red bell pepper. Slice and add okra to the mix, then sauté.
- Add diced tomatoes, basil, and chicken broth.
- Mix in salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.