In the winter, do you imagine what warm dish you are going inside to enjoy – a delicious dish that warms you up from the inside out? Try this recipe. It is a traditional recipe and welcomed by many when Nana serves it. You can start it earlier in the day, then come in when you need a break from the cold. No worries if you have leftovers, just make pozole.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 pounds boneless beef shoulder roast or pork roast
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded
- 1 medium onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cut meat into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large pan, add oil and heat on medium. Add meat and brown.
- Rough chop tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, then garlic and add to the pan.
- Add cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Place lid on top and cook on low for 3 hours.
- After 2½ hours, add the flour and water and stir in.
This dish can also be prepared in an instant pot. Just brown your meat and other ingredients, then select meat/stew high option. Pressure for 30 minutes with a quick release.
This can be served like a thick stew with toppings such as cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc. It is great served as a burrito filling as well. Nana also uses the leftovers to make pozole.