This recipe came back from Louisiana with Aunt Kati and her family when they moved back home. She cooked it for Nana’s birthday dinner soon after returning, and Nana fell in love.
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup butter softened
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons basil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds tilapia
- salt to taste
- Mix together all ingredients except tilapia. Set aside.
- Lay tilapia in a single layer on a baking sheet, and sprinkle tilapia with salt. (Remember you will also get a salty taste from the mayonnaise and Parmesan.)
- Place tilapia into oven and broil 2 minutes.
- Flip each filet and broil 2 more minutes. Remove from oven.
- Cover each piece of tilapia with Parmesan mixture.
- Place back under broiler for about 6 minutes or until mixture browns and fish flakes with fork.
This is delicious as a main dish with sides, or it makes great fish tacos.