There are times in the year when we have so much squash and zucchini that Nana looks for new recipes, because she is afraid we’ll stop eating her food. (Never gonna’ happen.)
This is a recipe that she found in Southern Living magazine trying to solve that problem. It has been tested with the family, and it was a success. She wanted to pass it along for y’all to enjoy. Let us know how you enjoy it with your family.
- 10-ounce package of fresh spinach
- 2 medium yellow squash, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- 12 corn tortillas cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can of “cream of” something soup
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces picante sauce
- 1-4.5 ounce can green chilies
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning
- salt to taste
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Wilt spinach in microwave for about 3 minutes.
- Sauté squash, zucchini, red pepper, and onion in olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until tender.
- Stir in spinach, then the next 8 ingredients, and 1 ½ cups of cheese.
- Spoon into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes.