If you are from the south, and have ever had a backyard garden, there is a high likelihood that you’ve had creamed yellow squash. This is such a quintessential southern comfort food. Nana had this often as a child to “use up” the squash from the garden. Back then she didn’t like it, but she has learned to love this recipe with many of her other garden-fresh recipes. If you like creamed vegetables, try her Creamed Peas and Carrots, Creamed Potatoes, & Creamed Corn.
- 4 – 5 medium-sized yellow squash
- salted water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Slice squash into ¼-inch rounds and simmer in a pot of salted water until they are soft but not falling apart.
- Pour squash into a colander to drain the water, then move back to a pan.
- Add cream and the remaining ingredients to squash.
- Simmer squash for about 5 minutes until the squash and cream are incorporated.