When the hot Texas summers arrive, a cold sandwich begins to sound good during the middle of the day. Nana uses this recipe as a break from a bologna or turkey sandwich. If she’s cooking for someone, she’ll often make a midnight special by toasting each side of the sandwich bread in butter then adding a few slices of fried bacon to her pimento cheese sandwiches. If it is cooler weather, try it with her homemade Cream Tomato and Basil Soup, or pair it with her Not So Traditional Chili for a homemade Chihuahua Sandwich.
- 4½ cups Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 jalapenos, chopped and deveined
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 4-ounce jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients and stir until well mixed. Salt and pepper to taste.