Nana usually makes the Hot Bacon Potato Salad that she’s already shared. This recipe was a pleasant break for Nana, because she can make it the day before and stick it in the fridge. Then she doesn’t have to plan time or use an oven to heat it up before serving our hungry crew.
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard or Dijon mustard
- ½ cup sweet pickle relish (including juices)
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced (optional)
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 1-inch chunks.
- Place them into a large stockpot. Fill the pot with cold water until the potatoes are covered by 1 inch of water.
- Set the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add 1 tablespoon salt and cook the potatoes for 13-15 minutes or until fork tender.
- While you are waiting for potatoes to cook, in a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, pickle relish, celery seeds, garlic, paprika, and 1 teaspoon salt until smooth.
- Chop the eggs, celery, onions, and dill.
- Once the potatoes are ready, drain off the water and let cool.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl and gently mix in the dressing until potatoes are well coated. Stir in the remaining ingredients making sure to salt and pepper to taste.
- Nana used sliced boiled eggs to garnish.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours. It is even better on day two.