Who says a salad needs a leafy green? This salad has been around our family for at least 20 years. Nana likes making it almost as much as she likes eating it, and it may be the kids’ first or second choice for eating broccoli compared to just dipping it in ranch dressing. Just like any salad, skip the ingredients you don’t like.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 ½ pounds broccoli
- 1 purple onion
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Cook your bacon and let drain and cool.
- Wash and cut broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Dice the onion and add to your broccoli.
- Crumble your cooled bacon and add.
- Add raisins and sunflower seeds.
- In another bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sugar, and red wine vinegar to make your dressing. Once the sugar is completely dissolved and all ingredients are well blended, your dressing is ready.
- Dress your salad right before serving by adding your dressing to the broccoli mix. Lightly toss all of the ingredients until they are evenly coated.
- The salad is best served straight from the fridge.