Yes, we know; meatloaf needs ketchup, not pickles. When Nana was a newlywed, Pa’s mom gave her a new meatloaf recipe, and she’s been making it since. It sure helps that Pa loves this recipe.
- 1 pound hamburger meat
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ pound cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 2-3 dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Combine all ingredients except cheese and pickles using your hands; don’t incorporate longer than 30 seconds.
- Divide the meat mixture into 2 halves. Pat half the meat into a flat oval shape in a 9×13 pan.
- Place the cheese and pickles on top of the oval-shaped meat.
- Take the other half of the meat mixture and place it on top of the cheese and pickles. Be sure to press the edges of the two halves of meat together to seal. This will help keep the cheese from running out as the meatloaf bakes.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour or to internal temperature of 160 degrees.