Cooking the Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, 2.5-3 pounds
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans chicken broth
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- ¼ – ½ cup flour, depending on desired thickness
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Use your favorite, or Nana’s recipe.
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
Cook the Chicken
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large pot. Add enough water to cover chicken and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is tender. This will take about an hour.
- Remove chicken from broth. Strain broth reserving 2 cups strained broth. Save the rest for another recipe.
- Cool chicken and remove meat from the bone. Chop meat.
Make the Pie Filling
- Sauté onions, carrots, and potatoes in butter until crisp tender.
- Sprinkle flour on top stirring until smooth. Cook one more minute stirring constantly.
- Gradually add reserved broth and cream.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and chopped chicken.
- Roll half of your dough 1/8-inch thick and place in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture over baked pastry.
- Roll remainder of crust then place on top of chicken mixture. Nana has taught Bekah to weave the dough like in the picture.
- Combine egg and milk then blend well. Brush over the top of the pie. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until golden brown.