Need a recipe to start the new year off right or make black-eyed peas taste delicious any time of the year? Leave it to Nana.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice, uncooked
- Cut bacon into small pieces. Sauté in a large cast iron skillet until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in skillet.
- In drippings sauté onion, bell pepper, basil, pepper flakes, and salt until onions are soft. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Return bacon to onions and peppers. Add peas and broth. Simmer until peas are tender. Drain the peas reserving liquid. Add one cup of liquid back into peas. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a large saucepan. Add rice and sauté until golden. Add 3 cups reserved broth to rice. Bring to a boil reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes until tender. Fluff with a fork.
- Add rice to black eyed peas. Add remaining broth until you obtain the consistency you like.