Everyone knows that Aunt Ky loves all things Hawaii. This includes coconuts and pineapples. Not surprisingly, this is one of her favorite cakes passed on from Gigi’s mom. Aunt Ky’s daughter had the idea of adding the food coloring to make it look more fun to eat. Maybe that is why she is enjoying making cupcakes right now also.
If you leave out the food coloring, you’ll have a classic white cake that still tastes delicious. If you like this recipe, try out another recipe passed on from Gigi’s mom: Cream Cheese Pound Cake.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 – 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 – 10-ounce can frozen pina colada mix
- 1 – 8-ounce can crushed pineapples, drained
- 1 – 8-ounce tub Cool Whip
- 1 – 8-ounce can coconut
- Mix cake mix according to box directions.
- Equally divide dough into four mixing bowls then add food coloring to each bowl until you have desired colors.
- Grease and flour a 9×13.
- Plop random spoonfuls of color #1 into the 9×13 leaving space for the next colors. Repeat for color #2 and so on unit you are out of dough.
- Bake according to box directions, then let cool.
- Spread sweetened condensed milk, pina colada mix, pineapples, then the Cool Whip evenly over the cooled cake. Once done, top with coconut.
- Make sure to refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.