This is a rich and comforting recipe. It is especially delicious when Nana serves it over bacon and cheddar grits.
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 – 8-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 – 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper towel to drain, and reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease.
- In 2 tablespoons of butter sauté onions for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Now add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are cooked. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté spinach in reserved bacon grease for about 2 minutes. Drain liquid from spinach, then add remainder of the ingredients to spinach along with mushroom and onion mixture.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with cooked bacon and spoon over your favorite grits recipe.