This is one of Nana’s many pickling recipes. It can be used with cucumbers like the recipe is written, or she uses it to make pickled okra. If she does okra, she uses pint jars and processes it for 5 minutes in the water bath instead of 20 minutes. Have fun!
- 4-5 pounds cucumbers (speared, sliced, or left whole)
- 3 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
- 3 cups water
- 6 tablespoons salt
Remaining Ingredient Amounts are Per Jar
- 2 cloves of garlic, whole
- ½ tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons dill weed
- Wash the cucumbers.
- Make a brine of the vinegar, water, and salt. Bring to boil.
- Place garlic, mustard seed, dill seed, and jalapeno in the bottom of each sterilized quart jar.
- Pack the cucumbers into the jars.
- Fill the jars with boiling brine to within ½ inch from the top.
- Put lids on jars, screw the band firmly tight.
- Process 20 minutes in boiling water bath. (Cover the jars with water one inch over the top of the jars and boil for 20 minutes.)
Pickles will shrivel after processing. They will later plump in sealed jar.