For three generations, we’ve enjoyed this addition to our Hawaiian Stack ‘Ems. Gran often made this, and we wanted to pass it on so that your family could enjoy it as well. It is a pretty simple process. Just make sure to get your cornstarch clumps out when making your slurry.
- 1 ¼ cup water, separated
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- Mix 1 cup of the water and the next 3 ingredients and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly add the cornstarch to the remaining ¼ cup of water until completely dissolved with no clumps.
- Drizzle the cornstarch slurry into the soy sauce mixture then heat on medium high heat until the sauce is desired thickness. (It may thicken slightly after removing from heat.)
- Add 2-3 drops of red food coloring until the sauce is the color you want.
“O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.”