We told you to expect more spinach recipes while we enjoy our spring garden. Abuelo’s Mexican Restaurant used to be one of our favorite places to eat. So of course, Nana found a copycat recipe, so we wouldn’t go without one of our favorite sides.
- 2 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces Velveeta
- ½ teaspoon chipotle seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons Julio’s seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Sauté bacon in skillet until crisp. Remove bacon to drain on a paper towel reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings.
- Sauté onions and peppers in bacon drippings until translucent. Add garlic, sauté one more minute. Now add chopped mushrooms and cook until done. At this point, add chopped spinach and cook until spinach is dark green and wilted. Remove vegetable mixture from skillet.
- Add cream cheese and Velveeta to skillet. Heat over low until cheese is melted. Add corn and all previous ingredients to cheese mixture.
- Pour into an oven proof dish. Top with Monterey Jack cheese. Heat in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven until cheese just melts (about 10 minutes).
This can be used as a side dish, filling for enchiladas, or even as a dip by adding ¼ cup of milk.